The Legislature and Governor are working to respond to severe drought conditions, however, all Californians must take action to conserve our limited water supply.
Small adjustments can make a big difference. Here are some tips and tricks to help you conserve water at home:
- Run the dishwasher only when full to save water and energy.
- Don't use running water to thaw food. Defrost food in the refrigerator.
- Use the garbage disposal sparingly. Instead, compost vegetable food waste.
- When washing dishes by hand, don't let the water run. Fill one basin with wash water and the other with rinse water.
Bath and Laundry
- Fix your leaky toilet or install a high-efficiency toilet.
- Take five-minute showers instead of ten minute showers.
- Turn off the water while washing your hair or brushing your teeth.
- Use the washing machine for full loads only to save water and energy.
- Water early in the morning or later in the evening when temperatures are cooler.
- Plant drought-resistant trees and plants.
- Add mulch around trees to help retain moisture.
- Use a broom rather than a water hose to clean driveways, sidewalks and patios.
For more water conservation tips, visit www.saveourwater.com.