Are you interested in State Government? Are you a current college or university student? If so, you should consider applying for an Assembly internship in my district office. I am looking for bright, self-motivated, energetic individuals who are interested in learning the dynamics of working in a legislative district office while making an impact in their community.
Among the chief roles of a district office is to keep the local community connected with the legislative work taking place in Sacramento. District interns assist with organizing community based events, constituent casework, and everyday involvement with the 51st Assembly District. As an intern you will support staff with special events, constituent services, and special projects related to the district office's general administrative duties. The goal is to establish a workable and mutually beneficial relationship between the legislator and the intern.
Essential duties include:
- Active involvement in monitoring District and State issues, current events and relevant legislation
- Assist with research and planning of upcoming events and projects
- Provide accurate and complete information in response to constituent inquiries and community issues
- Assist with and maintain office procedures, routine correspondence, telephone inquiries and special projects
- Develop clear knowledge and understanding of principles, functions, practices and operations of the California State Legislature
- Assist with responding to a variety of constituent inquiries and issues
- The ideal candidate must be enrolled in an educational program upon the start of the internship.
- The ideal candidate will have an interest in public policy, community organizing, political science, economics, English, communications, public relations or a similar area of study or career path.
- Interns must be able to work 12 hours per week minimum. Office hours are M-F 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. with some optional events during the evening and weekends.
- Although unpaid, interns receive important benefits like working directly with elected officials, community leaders and local residents on issues and events related to the 51st Assembly District. Interns may also qualify for internship credit from their university or school, as well as earn a letter of recommendation from the Assemblymember.