Relief & Resources for Tenants & Landlords

Rent Relief

Last year’s Tenant Relief Act (AB 3088) enacted substantial protections from evictions, but renters remained liable for missed payments. By the time this year arrived, 240,000 California households owed an average of $7,000 in back rent. For the wellbeing of our loved ones, and our neighbors, it was imperative that we provide rent relief right away.

That’s why I championed the COVID-19 Tenant Relief Act (SB 91) to extend the moratorium that prevents evictions, and to devote $2.6 billion to go toward paying up to one-year’s worth of back rent. Governor Newsom signed it into law. I urge you to apply for rent relief by April 30, 2021.

When we help tenants repay their landlords, we help keep families in their homes. With 3.67 million COVID-19 cases in California – 1.22 million in Los Angeles County alone – stop gap measures won’t cut it. That’s why both renters and property managers can apply for rent relief, and why there are two means of accessing relief: One for those in the City of Los Angeles and another for those in the County of Los Angeles.

Help for Renters and Landlords in the City of Los Angeles

Rental assistance for renters and landlords in the City of Los Angeles is available through the City of Los Angeles Emergency Renters Assistance Program. Please visit, or call 833-373-0587 to apply for direct relief to cover the costs of unpaid back rent and utilities.

To apply for the City of Los Angeles Emergency Renters Assistance Program:

  • You must be a City of Los Angeles resident. Check here to confirm.
  • Someone in your household must have a pandemic-related financial hardship.
  • You must have annual household income that is at or below 50% of the Area Median Income. (A family of four, for example, is eligible with an income of $56,300 or less).
  • Renters are eligible regardless of immigration status.
  • Landlords can apply on behalf of tenants.
  • Go to the Los Angeles Housing and Community Investment Department website, or call 833-373-0587 to apply.
  • Applications must be received before 11:59 PM on April 30, 2021.

Help for Renters and Landlords in the County of Los Angeles (East Los Angeles)

Rental assistance for renters and landlords is available in the County of Los Angeles and across the state through the California COVID-19 Rent Relief Program. Please visit, or call 833-430-2122 to apply for direct relief to cover the costs of unpaid back rent and utilities.

To apply for the California COVID-19 Rent Relief Program:

  • You must be a County of Los Angeles or State of California resident.
  • Have qualified for unemployment benefits or experienced other financial hardship due to COVID–19.
  • Have proof of loss of income, or significant costs incurred, due to COVID-19.
  • Demonstrate a risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability.
  • Have a household income that is not more than 80% of the Area Median Income.
  • Renters are eligible regardless of immigration status.
  • Landlords can apply on behalf of tenants.
  • State of California COVID-19 Housing and Homelessness Resources website, or call 833-430-2122 to apply.
  • Here is a directory of nonprofit community partner organizations that can help you apply.

Eviction Protection

  • Available to anyone with a coronavirus-related hardship, like loss of or reduction income.
  • Prevents you from being evicted if you declare your hardship.
  • Protection runs through June 30, 2021.
  • Visit this website to learn what your hardship declaration must include.
  • Rent is still due and evictions can still occur. Please seek out additional city or county protections against eviction.
  • Know your rights as a renter in California who cannot pay their rent because of COVID-19-related hardships.
  • Visit Housing is Key for more information.

Golden State Stimulus, CalEITC & Young Child Tax Credit

  • The Golden State Stimulus (GSS) is a $600, one-time relief payment.
  • You’ll get it if you receive the California Earned Income Tax Credit (CalEITC) after claiming it on your 2020 individual tax return, which is filed this year.
  • You’ll get an additional $600, one-time GSS payment if you file your return with an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).
  • ITIN filers who do not receive the CalEITC but earn $75,000 or less will get a $600 GSS payment.
  • You’ll receive your GSS payment shortly after you file your 2020 taxes.
  • State of California tax resources are listed on this website.
  • More information on how you can file your federal and state taxes for free and on how you can access the GSS, CalEITC and Young Child Tax Credit can be found here.

Unemployment Insurance & Other Employment Development Department (EDD) Programs

  • If you cannot work because of illness or injury, please apply for Disability Insurance.
  • If you cannot work because you must care for a child or other immediate family members, please apply for Paid Family Leave.
  • If you lost your job or had your hours reduced, please apply for Unemployment Insurance.
  • If you do not qualify for Unemployment Insurance but need to supplement a COVID-19 related loss of income, please apply for Pandemic Assistance.
  • All of these options provide cash payments based on past earnings.
  • More resources for working Californians who have lost income are available here.

Mortgage Relief

  • Available to homeowners or landlords who own 3 or fewer residential properties.
  • Prevents your property from being foreclosed on if you declare a COVID-related hardship.
  • Protection length varies depending on program. Please see if you have a federally-backed mortgage.
  • If you do not have a federally-backed loan, protections for homeowners and small landlord borrowers exist.
  • Contact your loan servicers to request forbearance. Your lender must provide detailed reasons if they deny your forbearance request. You can contest a denial.
  • Find more information on mortgage help and how to get it here.

No Credit Score Changes

  • Available to all Californians.
  • Automatically prevents late or missing payment info from being shared with credit reporting agencies.
  • This protection is available without any action on your part.

Help for Californians Experiencing Homelessness

  • If you’re experiencing homelessness, you can contact your local homeless continuum of care
  • You can also call 211 for help.
  • You may be able to get a hotel or motel room through Project Roomkey.
  • If you’re a homeless assistance provider, determine your community’s need for rooms.
  • Work with your local continuum of care entity, emergency management, social services, tribes, and other partners.
  • The State of California has set aside emergency funding to protect the homeless during the coronavirus.
  • Here are some FAQs for homeless assistance providers.

Temporary Housing for Essential Workers

  • Housing for the Harvest offers temporary housing to agriculture and food processing workers who need to isolate due to coronavirus infection or exposure.
  • Under this program, the state will pay for hotel rooms for agricultural workers who need to self-isolate.
  • Visit housing for agricultural workers to find out program eligibility.

Hotel Rooms for Healthcare Workers

  • The Non-Congregate Sheltering (NCS) for California Healthcare Workers Program keeps healthcare workers safe and reduces the spread of the coronavirus.
  • It provides hotel rooms to healthcare workers who give critical care to COVID-19 patients so they don’t bring home the virus to their household.
  • Visit hotel rooms for California healthcare workers to find out about program eligibility and how to reserve a room.

Food assistance

  • Available to anyone who needs help getting food for any reason.
  • Resources include government programs and nonprofits like food banks.
  • Benefit availability varies by program.
  • If you or someone you know needs food benefits, visit the food assistance